|Position||0243 Mongo DBA|
|Contact Name||Steve Silvi|
|Description||Senior Database Administrator|
Primary Function:Under limited supervision the Senior Database Administrator provides technical expertise in the design, implementation and maintenance of Relational Database Management Systems (RDMBS) in support of Client’s business applications.
The Senior Database Administrator participates in the smooth transition of logical data models into physical data models taking advantage of the characteristics of the particular RDBMS.Works with the DBA Manager in developing and implementing policies, standards and procedures for Database Design and Data Architecture.
Consults with and supports the DBA Manager regarding application alternatives, security (SOX), software usage, capacity planning, training, recovery and backup procedures.
Must have strong communication skills. DBA experience includes supporting multiple Relational Database Systems (Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle), non-relational database systems (MongoDB). Must have experience in Windows 2008/2012/2016, PowerShell and Linux operating systems.Major Duties and Responsibilities: • Participates in Client’s Disaster Recovery Plan
• Provide first-level application support: Resolve problems and answer questions related to the database(s) (e.g., MS SQL, Oracle) and platform environment (e.g., Windows, Linux); contact vendor support when necessary; facilitate application development and client problem resolution with optimum speed and efficiency.
• Database performance monitoring and tuning: Closely monitor performance; identify problems and implement solutions; ensure the database is running at optimum speed and efficiency.
• Maintain database backup/recovery environment: Respond quickly to refresh data; verify implementation of correct backup strategy; develop recovery procedures; support recovery from loss of data caused by user or system error.
• Install and upgrade database and related products: Keep databases at current release and maintenance levels; install supporting products; provide current, stable production and development environments.
• Reorganize database structures as needed: Automate procedures at regular intervals; use tools to reorganize or defrag database table spaces, tables, and indexes; provide efficient database environment to maximize productivity and improve performance.
• Perform application refreshes on request: Refresh data from one environment to another at the request of the application development staff; execute necessary tasks to accomplish this, including export, drop, create, and import pre-scheduled time to minimize impact; provide application development staff optimal development environment with current data.
• Capacity planning and reporting: Monitor file system space, database allocation, etc.; verify efficient use of disk storage; reclaim dead space; optimize space allocation and avoid out-of-space conditions.
• Create, develop, and review the physical model created from the logical model, ensuring the detailed physical design of data structures and databases complies with standards, guidelines, and procedures recommended for all aspects of data modeling, database design, and maintenance; ensure proper data modeling and design paradigms are applied.
• Review overall physical database structures for data integrity, performance quality, recoverability, maintenance, and space requirement considerations.
• Communicate complex technical information in a concise and articulate manner.
• Participate in the evaluation and recommendation of DBA tools and new DBMS technologies.
• Be responsible for the integrity of production test and QA database environments.
• Be responsible for application-oriented database administration and technical support for the various development, training, testing, and production requirements of relational database environments; focus on application-specific database issues to ensure optimal application performance and integrity.
• Develop utilities for monitoring and evaluating data quality.
• Assist in the definition and development of database documentation and standards.
• Have a willingness to move quickly into a production support role.
Minimum Skills and Knowledge Required|
• Excellent leadership ability, communication, and writing skills are required.
• Ability to provide technical expertise and troubleshooting advice to help team to quickly identify and resolve database related problems
• B.S. degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline required.
• 5+ years of in-depth experience in the design, administration, programming, and support of Multiple RDBMS’s (e.g., Oracle, MS SQL server) and 2+ years of non-relational Database experience with MongoDB in one or more computing environments (e.g., Linux, Windows, Intranet, Web).
• Experience working with emerging Cloud Technologies (e.g., AWS, Azure or Oracle)
• Experience with the Agile Development Methodology a plus
• Demonstrated experience working well with customers of varying levels of technical expertise in high-pressure situations and complex environments.